20090806

My Opinion About Homeopathics

Straight up and out of the bag, homeopathics CAN work but homeopaths themselves are quacks. Let me explain. My family has been diagnosed with celiacs disease; an intolerance to gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley, oats, rye, and many other grains). When gluten is consumed it is the equivalent of eating small portions of poison over time. My mother was the first to discover she had it but years after she was feeling the affects. She began seeing a homeopath in Provo named Julie. Everyone in my family knows how much "love" I have for this quack.

Julie used an "advanced computer program" that determined your tolerance for certain foods programmed into the computer. She would stick a little metallic/needle like structure connected to the computer to your finger and the computer would give her a rating regarding your tolerance. Brilliant!

The first time I went to Julie (my mother was present) she gave me all these little droplet containers to help my my multiple "intolerance levels" for a wide variety of foods. While she was "testing" me she would try to convince me of things that were not true. "You have problems digesting fiber don't you?" Me: "Not that I know of." Julie: "The computer says you do, so you do." (What just happened? The computer knows me better than me? Um...sure.) Here's what's interesting too, she told me I had horrible psoriasis because I was allergic to alcohol and vinegar. Then, she put alcohol and vinegar in my droplet bottles to preserve the magic liquid (does this make sense? "Avoid alcohol and vinegar, unless I give it to you because I'm magic.") She also gave me pills telling me I had multiple worms in my intestines that were causing my stomach cramps (please note that Julie and the computer decided I had stomach cramps, as I was unaware my stomach was ever cramping).

Diligently I took these nasty drops and pills and powders that she gave me. 1 month later when my mom wasn't present, Julie told me I needed even more. Instead of asking she just kept on piling up pills, droplets, powders, etc. onto my mother's bill. So, in one month I miraculously became allergic to foods I don't eat anyway (one example was asparagus, never had it before then and never will after I tasted it once). She asked how I was feeling after taking her "magic" and I informed her I felt like crap compared to before.

On my own I stopped taking the crap she gave me. After one week I felt exactly like I did before taking the magic ingredients; I felt great. The third and very last time I ever went to Julie on my own decision (my mother asked me to go after this, but I refused and I was 16 at the time) I lied to Julie and told her I finished all her useless toad eyes and newt tongues she gave me, and the computer agreed with my lies! Yay!

There are three things I want to discuss: homeopathics and "natural" substances, prescription drugs, the power of the mind.

The above experience shows you that the homeopath herself was the problem, not the concept itself. I have seen homeopathics work after a very very very very long time regarding my mother's health. However, it wasn't until after she started seeing a doctor (real doctor with his PhD) that uses both homeopathic and prescription drugs in his practice that things started happening for her. But take a look at what "natural" or aka homoepathic drugs can have. The FDA cannot regulate homeopathic drugs because they are classified as supplements. All vitamins, minerals, etc. are not under the jurisdiction of the FDA. In fact, if you're taking "natural drugs" you could be taking water and not even knowing it, and there is nothing you can do. The first step to choosing a homeopathic drug is finding a reputable company, then the second step is to take the drugs.

Homeopathic drugs can be effective, but the downside is they can take forever to do anything. Ugh..."I hate wait." (tell me what movie that is and you are awesome). This leads us into prescription drugs. Why are prescription drugs even used if we have natural resources to help us out? Well, prescription drugs are fast and give us the results we want right? Sort of. They are fast that's for sure. Nevertheless, prescription drugs are not always good (uh oh, the drug companies will shut down my blog now). Ever thought about why your doctor has to give you permission to take a drug? It's not just so he/she can make money for the prescription, that's just an added bonus. It is because prescription drugs are the strongest, most hardcore form of whatever you want them to be. You want to feel better faster from a cold or flu? Take a prescription or over the counter drug (note that a virus cannot be killed, just temporarily controlled/relieved). Can you take other forms of vitamins that are natural? Sure, but who wants those anyway? They are slow! Prescriptions rule?

The mind, in my opinion, does have power over the body. I personally don't believe someone can wake up after finding out they have cancer and say, "I don't have cancer anymore." then go on their way living life without cancer just because they say so. Not at all. Their mind can help beat cancer, but it's not a miracle worker. Our bodies are incredible! They can do things you won't believe, but we need to make them do it. The mind is powerful enough to control the body in ways to help it overcome illness to a certain degree; the mind is powerful. It is so powerful in fact, that women can actually convince their bodies that they are pregnant even though they never had sex. Their bodies will actually grow as if they were pregnant! Isn't that amazing? (and pathetic at the same time)

So if our mind is so great why don't we use it? We've grown up in a world where we've been accustomed to say, "Doctor give me a quick fix." and going on our way. We don't want to put forth effort to make our bodies healthy, we want the miracle drugs that will make us better without us having to commit to anything. In a way I don't blame people, we are expected to get a great deal done for work, school, etc. in a short period of time. We don't want to waste time on slow processes.

So where do I stand? Prescription drugs are fast, affordable (with insurance), and easy to get. However they can also cause many problems from their extreme strengths created in labs for the purpose of imitating natural substances at, again, extreme strengths. Homeopathics can work and keep your body in a healthy lifestyle. However, the homeopaths that distribute these "natural" cures are what you need to watch out for, and if you have the time to wait for something to kick in be my guest. The mind can only do so much, but use it. It will help. Everything we have is good, everything we have is bad. What's my solution? Buy my sugar water...I mean, natural 100% guaranteed pills that are clear and odorless. You'll be saved forever!

0 comments: