20090729

Seminary Principal "Scandal"

I don't know how far out of Utah this story has been published (if at all), but an LDS Seminary Principal has been accused of having innapropriate relations with a female student at Lone Peak High School in Highland, UT. For those who don't know (and hardly anyone reads this blog, so the few people that actually do already know) but seminary is an excused time from regular school hours for students of any faith to sit in a classroom learning about LDS doctrine and studying scriptures. The principal is someone appointed by LDS Church officials to oversee the program at a particular high school.

Don't remember his first name but the last name is Pratt, was a well-known teacher/principal that was spoken highly of because of his care and concern for students. One girl, whose name has not been released, was apparently having very heavy relationships with Pratt within the last year. She didn't come forward, her parents became suspicious and they came forward. Here's my take on the whole thing and these are not in any particular order of importance (if you haven't read much about it check online newspapers and you'll get the entire story):

1 - Parental Involvement: The parents of the student are the ones that came forward, making statements like, "He overpowered our daughter." and "He manipulated our innocent child." blah blah blah blah. At first this girl didn't say any of those things, but now she is. An interview with her published in the Deseret News revealed that she has now been duplicating the statements made by her parents. Are the parents now manipulating their daughter? I think a little bit.

2 - Who's to blame: If you read comments in the articles posted on Deseretnews.com and harktheherald.com you'll notice people are defending and insulting both sides. Some say he's 100% to blame because he's the older person, while others say she has some blame (I have yet to see someone blame her 100%) because she is old enough to know right from wrong. Taking a look at it, both are to blame in my opinion.

She was 15 at the time the relationship started. LDS members baptize children at 8 years old when they are believed to have a greater knowledge of right and wrong. She knew it was wrong, so she can't say she hasn't had any fault. She kept seeing him, she did not tell parents, she lied to her parents, she lied to her friends, and she never came forward. Some people say she was scared, but she herself said she wasn't scared. She truly believed that he wanted to have a relationship with her.

Now to him, he's in that position of authority. As a teacher/coach I understand how high school students look up to those that are older and "more wise" than they are. For example, kids in my weight lifting class at PGHS would question me about some of the things I would teach. As soon as I explained it, even if they still thought I was wrong, they would agree with me and let it go. Why? Because I was in that position to demand respect and receive it, and they knew it and gave it. Pratt was in a position where he knew people listened to him and valued his opinion. According to the girl, he came on to her and said he had fantasized about her. I don't know how much of that is true since everything has been one sided thus far. However, if it is true then he overstepped his boundaries. Plain and simple, he overstepped his boundaries.

In addition, Pratt, according to parents, would continue to call this girl daily; the parents asked him to stay away from her and yet he continued to do that. If that is true (again, his side has not been brought to the public so it's all one sided, these could be false allegations and I wouldn't be shocked if they were) then Pratt knew what he was doing.

So if this is all true (I'm not assuming it is) I'd say it's 80% him and 20% her. However, I wouldn't make a final opinion until after I hear what he has to say unless he makes a plea deal.

3 - Should he have been fired?: I didn't think so at first, however, when he said in court, "The truth will hopefully be revealed when it needs to be" (or something very close to that, but the same meaning) made me think there is something to hide. Therefore, I think he should have been fired right away. Being a teacher I feel they should keep their jobs until the trial is done. Students make false accusations all the time about teachers, and they shouldn't be fired just because of that accusation. The facts need to be found before action is taken. Utah County is way too hyped up about prosecuting anyone accused of crimes with an underage individual. When court starts we'll see what the truth was.

I grew up with the Pratt family and I know them well. This individual is much older than I am, so he wasn't one of the siblings I knew, but everyone in the family that I know are excellent people. That doesn't mean I'm making excuses for him, he made a mistake by having any type of relationship outside of school with this person whether it was meant to help her or it was sexual. You have to be careful. He made a mistake by going too far, but we'll see how far he actually went when his trial begins. I hope this never happened and the lives of both families can get back to normal. If it did happen, it will hurt a great deal of people.

2 comments:

Tristin July 30, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

Hey there, king. Glad to see you writing again. It's good to hear someone in Utah talking about things most would rather keep quiet (yeah, I talk like a big outsider, since I've lived in Colorado for two months now).

Anyway, I heard he used to teach seminary at Orem High back when my little sisters were there. They loved him and said he was the best. But if the claims are true (which to some degree I bet they are), it just goes to show that no one is immune from mistakes. Even the best of us can mess up if we aren't careful.

If it did happen, my perspective leads me to lay 75-90% of the blame on him. While she is old enough to know the relationship is inappropriate, she comes from a world where Twilight is the Bible. Ideas of romance and true love are so unrealistic and hopeful that girls at that age are VERY easily taken by a charming guy. I dated enough girls like that in high school AND college to know how easily they get swept up in romantic ideas that are stupid to a more rational person.

Mr. Pratt, on the other hand, had no excuses. He knew that there was not a chance in the world that he could openly have a relationship with the girl because of the wrongness of it, but he did it anyway. She may have been the instigator and most any girl her age would say she was stupid, but his was the greater responsibility to say no to a relationship. There are 10 years (or however many he taught) of students that held him as a role model. Some of those students probably attributed their entire testimony of the church to him. These allegations likely shook their world and maybe their testimony (hopefully not). He should have considered that. His right to make private mistakes ended when he became a role model.

Anyway, the truth will definitely come out, I think. Phone records will show how much they communicated, other students will come forward to tell what they know--assuming the whole thing wasn't made up. In the meantime, the seminary teacher should be placed on leave, not fired. Like the police do it when an officer is charged with abusing his/her power. Regardless, Mr. Pratt's life is ruined, which is tragic if it is a lie.

Wiquerking August 6, 2009 at 11:40 PM  

Yeah, definitely more blame on him than her because of his position. On the blog, note that I said, "He should have been fired right away." should have been "shouldn't." I feel like a trial must go on before any final decision is made. I don't remember my seminary teachers much because I wasn't a huge fan, mainly because I just didn't care. But I can see how someone else gets sucked into going to seminary teachers for guidance.