20090120

Mormons and Gay Marriage

Before I start off I will say, I'm a member of the LDS Church (Mormons as some people call us). My opinion is that religion causes much of the strife in this world. Admit it, people use religion as a crutch in many things. I'll admit LDS members use Religion by saying, "I don't drink because I'm Mormon." or, "I don't have sex before marriage because I'm Mormon." It can be seen in all religions (I just use the LDS Church since it is what I have the experience with). People just can't say, "I don't drink because alcohol smells like piss and I'd rather not wake up throwing up in the morning." as I did at parties.

Lets look at what the post is really about. Gay marriage. Many blame my church as the only reason why gay marriage isn't legal. If that's true, and we're not the predominant religion in any state except for Utah, then why is gay marraige still illegal in many other states? Think about it. Yes the LDS Church leaders encourage MEMBERS of the LDS CHURCH to vote agains gay marriage as we believe it is not natural or of God. This doesn't mean we hate homosexuals, we just do not agree with their practices. Doesn't matter that not everyone that voted against legalizing gay marriage was LDS, it's the LDS Church's fault according to everyone mad about the outcome. (cough excuses) Just another scapegoat to blame someone else for your failed attempt. Blame those that didn't vote. We do have freedom to vote however we want here. Deal with it.

How about an example of blame for homosexual inequality from BYU, everybody's "favorite" university. A group of homosexual and lesbian members called Soulforce visited campus to protest something they don't understand about BYU and homosexuals. Listed below are their claims and my answer (not BYU's, not the LDS Church's, but mine so comment to me if you disagree):

1. BYU opposes gays to attend their university and so gay students are driven into depression because of it. (Give me a break)

My Answer: Get a life. You can be openly gay and attend BYU. (What?!?!?!) That's right. Now don't take "openly gay" as the freedom for someone to openly talk about their desires. Nope, not at all. You must not talk about it because it contradicts the PRIVATE UNIVERSITY'S (I hope that sinks in, if not, PRIVATE UNIVERSITY)honor code of morality according to the principles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You can tell people you are gay, but you cannot talk about gay practices. Straight students are also restricted and encouraged to restrain from talking about sexual activities amongst each other.

2. BYU should let gays date and make love because it's not right to restrict them from their passions (seriously, this is what someone told me).

My Answer: So you want things that not even BYU students can have? Let me explain, at BYU you sign an honor code saying you will stay away from sexual intercourse and other sexual activites (kissing is not a sexual activity) outside of marriage. Because gays cannot be legally married they cannot engage in any type of sexual activity at all if attending BYU. "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, IN OBEYING, HORORING, AND SUSTAINING THE LAW." AofF #12. If straight students are restricted from having sexual intercourse outside of marriage, why should homosexual students have sexual intercourse outside of marriage? Now you're asking for more than other students. Don't be selfish.

3. Gays accept straight relationships, so you should accept gay relationships.

My Answer: Talking to a member of Soulforce named Tim (well, that's what he said his name was) the above statement is not entirely true. When I told him I am attracted to women and I have sex with only my female wife his answer was, "That's disgusting." Why is it disgusting? Because he said he can't find himself attracted to women. He didn't accept my choice to only be attractive to women, so why should I accept his to be attracted to men? Don't be a hypocrit (I'm not saying all homosexuals think this way, just the ones making the claims from Soulforce).

So, the LDS Church is not restricting gay marriage from being passed, it's everyone that voted! Get over it! If you want to blame someone for the fact that you can't get married then blame the founding fathers that wrote the law that marriage was only sanctioned between a man and a woman. They wrote the law while they established the government here, take it out on them.

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" -- Isaiah 5:20

0 comments: