20100419

Big O Ripoff

So I haven't blogged in a while, but I have so much to rave about. First of all, Big O Tires is a scam, right off hand I want to say it. Do not go there. Lets start at the beginning. I went in for their economic oil change they had been advertising for quite some time. A full checkup for $20 and an oil change, not a bad deal at all! I take my wife's CR-V. They tell me everything looks good except the struts need to be replaced and show me the wavy wear in her tires; it will cost $1000 for both front and rear struts. They were pushing me to sign papers to get the work done right then and there. They gave me the "It's unsafe for us to let you drive out of here...blah blah blah" speech. Since I didn't have the money I was able to collect my keys and take off.

Four months later my wife's car needed to be registered and we needed new tires in order for it to pass. Japanese Auto up in Orem said they would take a look at the struts to see if they needed to be replaced, and how much it would be. Two guys came out, checked the struts, tested them, then looked at me and said, "Your struts are perfectly fine. The tires you have were worn from off road use." Yep, that off road use was from the previous owner.

Experience number two was with my car. I have a Saturn Ion 2 and the car has been awesome. I took this car into Big-O after I took in my wife's, but before I found out about the struts being fine. A different guy that I talked to called me on my cell and told me two of my tires wouldn't pass the next month when I went in to register the car, and he had some good deals he could give me. I told him I was ok and that I go to Discount Tire Company (whom I love) and they could give me a better deal. This guy gave me the same BS about how he couldn't let me drive out of there because it was unsafe. So of course I walked back to the store, grabbed my keys from behind the counter, and just took off (I paid for the service before I left the first time). Went to discount, and they told me my tires were fine. The guy just wanted a sale.

Big-O is a huge ripoff, and their tires suck anyway. If you want an honest company to fix your car, either go to Japanese Auto or Altech Auto in Orem (both are honest and will save you money), and go to Discount Tire Company for your tires. They gave us a great deal on 4 new tires for my wife's CR-V and extended the warranty for free.

1 comments:

Tristin April 19, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

Welcome back, king. I can second you on Discount Tire, they are awesome. I'll check out Altech next time I'm in Utah (don't know who to trust here in Colorado).